if placed by 12PM EST
- Flame test activity allows students to study the emission spectra of different chemicals
- The kit is made safer without compromising the experiment by burning small, chemically-distinct candles
- Students will learn how a substance's chemistry can be determined based on emission spectra
- Includes enough material for six groups of students
- Kit includes teacher's manual, student study guide copymasters, and material safety data sheets for all included materials
Flame tests in chemistry involve the observation of emission spectra from combusting material in order to determine the chemical composition. Traditionally, this test can pose a risk in a laboratory setting. By using small candles, this flame test cuts down on the risk while providing the same scientific value. Students will observe the flame spectra through the incuded spectroscope and determine the composition of the burning material. This kit aligns with Next Generation Science Standards MS-PS1-1&2 and HS-PS1-2&4, and explores cross cutting concepts such as scale, patterns, proportion and quantity, and energy and matter. Contains enoug material for 6 groups of students, and includes teacher's manual, student study guide copymasters, and material safety data sheets (MSDS).
What's in the box?
- 1 bottle boric acid in methanol, 10% (5mL)
- 1 bottle sand, 500g
- 2 packages color flame candles
- 2 alcohol burners
- 15 diffraction slides
- 1 spectroscope
- 24 small trays
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Methanol and Respirable crystalline silica, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov.
Not for drug, food, or household use. Keep out of reach of children. For more information, refer to the Safety Data Sheet.