Innovating Science Porosity and Permeability Lab Activity (Materials for 15 Groups)
- Classroom lab activity geared towards earth science education, exploring porosity and permeability
- Students will learn about groundwater and how it flows beneath the surface, as well as its environmental impact
- Study three different substrates, measuring the porosity and permeabillity of each
- Includes enough material for 15 groups of students
- Teacher's manual and student study guide copymasters are included
Groundwater makes up a significant portion of Earth's fresh water. Students will learn what groundwater is, how it moves through the subsurface, and how porosity and permeability affect its movement. The impact of environmental issues on certain areas will also be studied through this lens. As a hands-on activity, students will study water's movement through three different substrates, measuring the porosity and permeability of each, then comparing the three. This kit includes enough material for 15 groups of students, and includes teacher's manual, student study guide copymasters, and safety data sheets. Additional items needed: 50mL graduated cylinders, markers, and stopwatches.
What's in the box?
- 1 bottle marble chips, 1500g
- 1 bottle medium gravel, 1500g
- 1 bottle coarse sand
- 60 plastic cups
- 15 nails
- 1 package modeling clay
- 1 bottle food coloring, 25mL
- Teacher's manual, student study guide copymasters, and safety data sheets
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Respirable crystalline silica, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov.