Effect of Salinity on Seawater (Materials for up to 15 groups)
call us at (585)360-2295
or request a quote
- Experiment kit designed to teach students about water salinity and density
- Kit contains synthetic samples of ocean water, allowing students to visualize liquid density currents
- Kit contains enough material for 15 groups, including chemicals, observation sheets, and student exercise copymasters
- Perfect for high school chemistry classes
- Safety data sheets included to inform safe storage and maintenance of chemicals
The world's ocean system contains a dynamic thermohaline current system that is responsible for many aspects of our environment. The environments in this kit have been designed to help visualize the impact solutions of different density have on each other when mixed. Students will measure the salinity of three different water samples representing three major salt water bodies, as well as perform an experiment in which they will observe the flow patterns when different density solutions are mixed. This kit has enough materials for 15 groups. Safety data sheets, teacher's guide and student study guide copymasters are included. Kit Includes: 10 mL Phenolphthalein Indicator 15 mL 1.0 M Potassium Chromate 400 mL 0.1 M Silver Nitrate 200 mL 3.0 M Sodium Hydroxide 250 mL Synthetic Atlantic Ocean Water 250 mL Synthetic Gulf of Mexico Water 250 mL Synthetic Pacific Ocean Water DOT Info: UN1824, Sodium hydroxide solution, 8, II, Ltd Qty.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Chromium, hexavalent compounds and Phenolphthalein/Methanol/Methyl isobutyl ketone, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov.
Not for drug, food, or household use. Keep out of reach of children. For more information, refer to the Safety Data Sheet.