if placed by 12PM EST
- Kit gives students hands-on experience with fractional distillation
- Through distilling the simulated oil, students will learn about boiling and condensation points, conservation of matter, and intermolecular forces
- This chemistry lab has practical, real-world applications
- Includes enough material for fifteen groups of students
- Kit includes teacher's manual, student study guide copymasters, and material safety data sheets for all included materials
Crude oil contains many different compounds that are of vital importance to our everyday lives, such as gasoline, kerosene, butane, and motor oil. Before they can be used, however, they need to be separated from each other. Students will get a hands-on look at this process works by performing a fractional distillation on a simulated oil mixture. The students will explore concepts such as boiling and condensation points, conservation of matter, and intermolecular forces. This kit corresponds to Next Generation Science Standards HS-PS1-3, -5, and -7, as well as MS-PS1-1, -2, and -5. Cross cutting concepts include patterns and energy & matter. Each kit comes with enough material for 15 groups of students, and includes teacher's manual, student study guide copymasters, and material safety data sheets (MSDS).
What's in the box?
- 1 bottle simulated crude oil (450mL)
- 15 rubber stoppers
- 30 disposable cups
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Methanol, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov.
Not for drug, food, or household use. Keep out of reach of children. For more information, refer to the Safety Data Sheet.