Forensic Drug and Poison Analysis Lab Activity (Materials for up to 15 groups)
- Experiment kit designed to teach students the difference between forensic chemistry and forensic toxicology
- Using the provided chemicals, students will test for hazardous chemicals in simulated material, identify unknown samples, and perform presumptive tests on over-the-counter drugs
- Kit contains enough material for 15 groups, including chemicals, observation sheets, and student exercise copymasters
- Perfect experiment for high school chemistry and forenscis classes and beyond
- Safety data sheets included to inform safe storage and maintenance of chemicals
In this lab, the student learns the difference between forensic chemistry and forensic toxicology. They gain knowledge in understanding how over-the-counter drugs, controlled drugs, and illegal drugs may act as toxins. Students will have the opportunity to perform presumptive chemical tests on drugs and poisons, identify unknown samples based on chemical test results, and examine urine for evidence of heavy metal poisoning using chromatography. Safety data sheets, teacher's manual, and student study guide copymasters are included. This kit contains enough material for 15 groups. Kit Includes: 10g Aspirin 10g Acetaminophen 10g Sodium Bicarbonate Antacid 10g Effervescent Antacid 10g Unknown #1 10g Unknown #2 30ml Universal Indicator Solution 30ml 0.5M Hydrochloric Acid 30ml Ferric Nitrate 1 g Simulated Marijuana 10g Simulated LSD 10g Simulated Cocaine 30ml Simulated Scott Reagent 30ml Simulated Van Urk Reagent 30ml Simulated Lead Solution 30ml Simulated Mercury Solution 30ml Unknown Poison 30ml Simulated Potassium Chromate 30ml Simulated Urine Sample 30ml Alanine Control 30ml Glycine Control Spray Bottle w/ 0.5g Ninhydrin Powder 4 x 25 ml 95% Ethanol 15 x 25ml Chromatography Solvent 15 Universal Indicator Color Charts 6 Capillary Tubes 15pc Chromatography Sheets 30 Spot Plates 8 Scoops 1pkg Toothpicks Materials Needed but not Supplied: Distilled or Deionized Water UV Light (black light) 15 Metric rulers 15 Large Beakers - 500 - 1000ml or similar(to use as chromatography chambers) Plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or laboratory film DOT Info: Small quantity exemption 173.4 THIS PACKAGE CONFORMS TO 49 CFR 173.4 for domestic highway or rail transport only
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Methanol/Methyl isobutyl ketone and Phenolphthalein, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov.
Not for drug, food, or household use. Keep out of reach of children. For more information, refer to the Safety Data Sheet.